Friday, July 27, 2007

Rainbows after the rain....and a *Rise UP* FREEBIE

Rain. Something about rain that fascinates me. It rained almost everyday when we were in Seattle, except for one day - my birthday - which was also the day before we returned home. We called it the real Seattle experience so we couldn't complain. Usually, the summers there are hot and humid but, it so happened that this was the one week that it had to rain. Sigh. Each day that it rained, we still made the most of our vacation. Still made it to the Spaceneedle, Westlake & Pacific Place Shopping Centers, Pioneer Square, Pike Place market, Snohomish (very rustic, but simply beautiful), Tukwila to visit my favorite store - Impress Rubber Stamps, and visited with family I haven't seen in years in Tacoma. We did all this with our kids and my sister, Daisy, all in a short period of a few days.

Seattle Center - Lucas & Josiah


Impress Rubber Stamps store


Everyday was an adventure. We did get lost not once, twice, or three times but, several times. Yet we didn't mind, it was pretty exciting if you ask me, to explore and discover the streets of Seattle. If we needed help with directions, there was always a friendly Seattlite who was more than willing to help us. Although, their information was often inaccurate and we'd get even more confused, it's what made our trip a trip to remember. All the while that we drove almost everywhere, my two boys were surprisingly tolerant and didn't seem to mind at all except when of course they were extremely bored and so desparately needed some "playtime".

To be honest, it was a major challenge traveling with small children and it made this vacation more of a learning experience. There were times that I felt like I never left home and that I couldn't really enjoy myself. But, I had to slap myself out of that attitude and choose to live my life with gratitude and to see that we were making memories as a family. Memories shared with each other that I hope one day we can laugh at and reflect on when we look at it in a scrapbook. Memories that even though my children may not remember it when they're older but, will always warm my heart in my aging years when they're away from home. It was our first family vacation and it will definitely not be our last. So, the least I could do is learn and grow and adapt to the fact that my kids will only grow bigger and traveling will only get easier. Let them be little because they're only little for a little while. I had to have this reality check and remember that it's not all about me anymore whether I'm at home or someplace else. As long as my kids are happy, I'm happy. End of story.


My cousin Tess & I

The highlight of this trip to Seattle was the day of my birthday. Like I said, it stopped raining and the sun was shining! But, what really made my day was all the rainbows that peeked through the clouds. I recall Josiah screaming from the backseat, "Mommy, look! Wainbow!" , over and over and over again. It something we rarely see here at home in San Francisco. I thought of how beautiful everything turned out to be despite all the muggy, rainy, gloomy days that greeted us when we got here. Also, my cousin Tess who I haven't seen in years was so very generous to welcome us in her home, made us lunch, and took us to this beautiful garden. She and I were childhood playmates yet, we were separated by thousands of miles which made it complicated to really keep in touch. Growing up, we tried to stay close by writing ( when email wasn't popular ) and also during times that I would come visit her when she lived in Hawaii. Then, we got busy with our lives, finishing college, beginning relationships, getting married, having kids and time just slipped in between us. Reuniting with her again was a blessing and being able to see our own kids playing together was timeless. I look forward to many more gatherings together. The garden she took us to not only had roses, but it also had dahlias, too. The flower that I was named after didn't become my favorite flower until my husband started growing them for me in our own backyard. After such a wonderful day with family, my husband treated me to Ruth Chris Steakhouse and it was the BEST dinner ever. Steak and lobster did it for me. It was da BOMB! Expensive, but worth it. And thanks to my sister for putting the kids to bed for me even though she couldn't wait for us to get back so she could go out and have her some fun, too. I didn't expect her to really like it in Seattle but, when we got back, she expressed how she actually misses it.

Now that we've been back, it feels like I'm in zombie mode. All that walking and eating we did has left my body in complete shock. I've been slowly getting back into the routine of the normal life. My body is here but, I feel like I left my heart in Seattle. :( If I want a taste of Seattle, I'll go to Border's bookstore and grab me a cup of Seattle's Best coffee. Or, I'll browse over 1000+ photos that my husband took and try to recapture those moments. The one photo that I absolutely love is the one of my babe and I at Kerry Park. It gives me this magical, nostalgic feeling everytime I look at it. We got lost before we got there and was rushing to make it before the sun went down. As soon as we arrived, another rainbow appeared right above the Seattle skyline. It was the perfect moment to capture on film and is what made this birthday as memorable as can be. It wouldn't be so bad if I blew up this picture and hung it on a wall would it?

You can't have rainbows without the rain. Call me corny or weird but, this is what it means to me. Life will always have storms and unexpected pitfalls, let downs, disappointments, defeats, and sorrows. But, the beautiful thing is, the sun always shines after the rain. Life gets better as we grow wiser, stronger, humble, thoughtful, compassionate, and most of all thankful. Even more, our faith continues to perservere. It gives you the belief that even if the world falls apart, with God you're life can never be shaken. He is our foundation, our stronghold, and our refuge in time of need. That is what He has taught me throughout the years and I will continue to hold on to that as long as I live. Sometimes we have to see through the rain and know that there is a rainbow waiting to adorn you with renewal and hope for a better day and the determination to not give up and keep moving on. So, rise up people and enjoy life. You only live once so live it, not waste it.

Here is my FREEBIE that I created in memory of this soul searching adventure and also of the beauty of Seattle even though it rained and poured, it's beauty still existed and brought some sunshine into my life....


You can download this here. Leave me a comment and remember to respect my terms of use! If you create a layout with this, I'd love to see it!

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

love these papers,thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

Love the papers!! Thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

These are great summer papers!!! Love the colors!!! Thank you! :)

Mari said...

Your work is beautiful. Thanks so much,
Mari

Caprices said...

I leave my comment in the 4shared.
Thanks for sharing !

Dorien said...

Thanks for sharing these great papers

-tnchick- said...

pretty colors! love these papers.

what a neat rainbow photo, too... happy belated birthday.

Anonymous said...

Love the papers.Nice colors.tfs

Jan said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

Dawn said...

Thanks for the papers...they are PERFECT for some pics I have at the beach!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your photos! Amazing message behind your Rise Up Papers. It's beautiful. TFS and Thank You!

I have a LO with your tropical paper in my blog.

Anonymous said...

thank you!

Serena said...

Thank you so very much. These are nifty! :)

Joy said...

Thank you so much for sharing... I enjoyed reading your blog.. I live in the Pacific Northwest so it was fun to hear how your trip was.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I just love these colors. Thank you so much for sharing, I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing :)

TanyaLynn said...

These papers are gorgeous thank you so much :)

Anonymous said...

WOW... who's that fine babe there? Hi hon, just sayin' hi and i love you... i miss seattle too.

your hubby :-)

Anonymous said...

love the papers! thanks.
-sheryl

Heather said...

Thank you for the gorgeous freebie! I love the colors & patterns. Thank you for sharing your love of the Lord - it has been encouraging to read and refreshing to "meet" another Christian scrapper.

Yin said...

Hi Dahlia, thanks for the beautiful papers! Enjoyed reading about your trip, yes, it's tough with young children, but it's definitely worth it. Yes you're right God is always faithful, and I'm so thankful!

Ramie :-) said...

LOVE it!!!! DS has a shirt that matches that orange perfectly!!

Thank you!!!
Ramie

Anonymous said...

Thank you! You are so talented! :)

Sharon aka Scrapcat4914 said...

TYFS these beautiful BG's!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful papers!! Thank you for sharing! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip, and your photos are super!

Craft Possible said...

I am in love with your papers. Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing your freebies. I have bookmarked ya.

Michelle said...

Beautiful colors! Thank you so very much!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful paper.

Sév said...

mercii !!!

Anonymous said...

these papers are just gorgeous!! you are very talented, girl! thanks so much for sharing!!
cheers from Brasil!

Kendra Krouskop-Smith said...

These are gorgeous - thank you! Please visit my blog for a freebie - www.mommysmemories.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

These are awesome! Thank you so much for your generousity.
-Karrina

Aimee said...

Dahlia, your papers are gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

MRSHUSiN said...

love the colour combination! nice! thanks!